Monday, November 10, 2008

VERMIFORM APPENDIX

VERMIFORM APPENDIX

In human anatomy, the appendix (or vermiform appendix) is a blind ended tube connected to the caecum, from which it developsembryologically. The caecum is a pouch-like structure of the colon. The term "vermiform" comes from Latin and means "worm-like in appearance".

The most common explanation is that the appendix is a vestigial structure which now has no purpose. One potential ancestral purpose put forth by Darwin was that the appendix was used for digesting leaves as primates. Over time, we have eaten fewer vegetables and have evolved, over thousands of years, for this organ to be smaller to make room for ourstomach. It may be a vestigial organ of ancient man that has degraded down to nearly nothing over the course of evolution. Evidence can be seen in herbivorous animals such as the Koala. The caecum of the koala is attached to the juncture of the small and large intestines, the same as in humans, and is very long, enabling it to host bacteria specific for cellulose breakdown. Early man’s ancestor may have also relied upon this system and lived on a diet rich in foliage. As man began to eat more easily digested foods, they became less reliant on cellulose-rich plants for energy. The caecum became less necessary for digestion and mutations that previously had been deleterious were no longer selected against. After thousands of years, the once-necessary caecum has degraded to what we see today; the appendix. (Wickipedia)


And why, you may ask, am I suddenly so fascinated with appendix? Well, you remember last week I had complained that I wasn't feeling so great? I had appendicitis! And now I am minus my appendix! Of course, typical for me I couldn't do things simply, I ended up having to have two operations instead of one and being in hospital for almost a full week instead of the usual couple of days! But I am home now and back to blogging. And I must say, I am very glad to be back :)

1 comment:

Rambling Woods said...

Oh dear Celeste..there must have been complications. I had mine out 20 years ago and I haven't missed it. I hope that you are feeling better now..it sounds like it was an awful ordeal for you...hugs..Michelle..